Monday, April 28, 2014

One of my most profound regrets of senior project is that I didn't begin blogging earlier! It was kind of a snap decision to begin diving when I did because I had to beat the intensely cold winter we had, but I hadn't decided on a final product by that point so the blog was just a consideration. I haven't posted much about my own personal dive experiences because it's been so long since I began my training ):

Here's what I remember from when I began:


The language used by experienced divers sounds like a foreign language when you're not familiar with the gear/procedures. I've been involved in this project for several months and I still get confused and lost beyond all reason when my instructor talks a little too fast hahaha (it's terrible I shouldn't be laughing). Once you learn all the equipment and how it's used, it's pretty easy to figure the rest out yourself!


Before you can even think of getting in the water, you have to prep your equipment and make sure it's all there. The primary pieces of the set I used included a mask and snorkel, a lead weight belt, fins, a BC (vest), a regulator (air hose/gauges), and the all-important pressurized air tank.

Me & Twink at Long Lake Diving

During my training around October and November, my gear included several layers to keep warm in the frigid waters. I wore a swim shirt and thermal leggings, a 7mm full wet suit, a 7mm jacket, a hood, gloves, and diving boots in addition to the other necessary gear. 

Observe me and my instructor climbing out of the relatively warm quarry and back into the unforgiving cold October air together.


Once you've dressed for the weather, assembled all your gear, and ensured it's in good condition and ready to be used, you have to wet the BC and attach the regulator to the air tank and open the air valve and check that air is flowing through it. Finally, attach and inflate the BC!


Entry into the water can be done several different ways. My personal favorite is simply easing yourself into the water from the pool/quarry's edge because I am lazy and the tank is heavy haha. 

My instructor made sure to teach me multiple techniques for retrieving my regulator in the case that it ever fell out of my mouth underwater. I didn't know it, but even if you're not breathing any air in, you still have to let out a steady stream of bubbles to keep the balance of gases within your body.

Me and Charlie at Long Lake Diving

One other thing I remember she stressed was to take my time and swim at the pace of the fish. If you observe at their level and swim at their speed, they won't swim away and you can really see them! When you ascend, you absolutely have to take your time. Ascending too quickly relieves the pressure on your lungs so suddenly and they can inflate beyond their capacity, causing all sorts of problems collectively known as the bends. You can see how quickly you're ascending by breathing out and seeing how quickly you're rising relative to the bubbles. If you're coming up faster than the bubbles are, slow down!



I truly enjoyed learning to dive under my instructor's teaching, and I don't think I ever mentioned her name! Twilla (Twink) Miller of Long Lake Scuba Diving taught me much about the sport of diving and I couldn't have asked for a better teacher. Additionally, I couldn't have asked for a more patient, generous, and overall awesome mentor :D

No comments:

Post a Comment