Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Equipment

Every diver needs their own set of gear (or a generous instructor who lets them borrow). When I dove, I rented my gear. During my training I typically used many more pieces, but those seen here are only some of the pieces I used for my pool dives the past weekend:
(From left to right)
Air tank, BC vest, fins, lead weight belt, regulator, and mask & snorkel


The regulator is required to always have two air hoses. In the event that a diver loses their main mouthpiece, there must always be a backup so that they don't run out of air. It is also for situations in which divers need to share air, and two divers can swim together sharing the two mouthpieces. 

The regulator also has a small air valve that attaches to the BC (vest) so that a diver can inflate it and increase buoyancy. Additionally, there's a monitor that gauges water depth and the PSI of pressurized air remaining in the tank.





The weight belt is not always necessary, although it can greatly assist a diver in resisting buoyancy. Lead weights are attached to the belt, and the more weights added, the lower you sink! This belt I used during my pool dives only held about 2lbs of lead, and when I dove in the quarry I used more, though I'm not sure how much.

Visibility underwater is restricted and nowhere near the visibility on land due to factors such as water salinity, sediment particles, etc. Even if you've got great vision, the mask and snorkel are crucial for underwater diving because without it, you can't see!

Divers must clear their masks before they can get in the water, and my instructor's method for doing so threw me off the first time haha. You spit directly onto the glass, rub it around, then rinse it with water. This defogs the glass and ensures clearer vision.



The fins are a vital piece of equipment because they stir up much more water with every kick than our feet do. Underwater navigation with a pair of fins propels a diver far faster and keeps them afloat while treading much more easily. Every time I took off my fins in the water during training it felt liberating because my feet were free, but I suddenly felt like I'd drown because of the weight of my equipment on my back and my sudden lack of suited swimming feet!



Finally, the all-important BC hold the entire set together - literally. It holds the tank like a backpack, attaches to the regulator and inflates or deflates to adjust buoyancy, overlaps the weight belt and wet suit (if the diver is wearing one at that time, which I did not during my pool dives but did during my quarry training), and contains pockets in case a diver finds something underwater and wants to carry it to the surface!

No comments:

Post a Comment